What are Dietitians and Nutritionists? 
Registered Dietitians and Nutritionists are regulated health professionals, specifically trained as nutrition and food experts. They help contribute to the health and well-being of all people living in Prince Edward Island. Dietitians aim to empower their patients, clients, and communities to embrace food, to understand it, and to enjoy it. The advice and information they provide is tailored to their clients' and patients' personal needs and challenges, including taste and accessibility.

Dietitians play a major role in health care, industry, government and education. They influence policy development, direct nutrition programs, manage quality food services and conduct nutrition research.

In PEI, dietitians provide nutrition services in a variety of settings such as community health centres, hospitals, long-term care homes, diabetes programs, public health, provincial and federal government agencies, grocery stores/pharmacies, community & non-government organizations, academic and research settings, and private practice.  For more details click here for Appendix A: What do Dietitians do?


Working with a Dietititan or Nutritionist


Make a Complaint

The College of Dietitians of PEI is here to ensure you receive quality dietetic/nutrition care. If you feel that a Registered Dietitian, Nutritionist, or Dietetic Intern has engaged in poor practice, inappropriate or unprofessional behaviour, has not met their practice standards or code of ethics, or is a risk to the public, then you may have grounds to file a complaint with the CDPEI.

If you are concerned about the practice or conduct of a Registered Dietitian, your first step should be – if reasonable and safe - to discuss the problem directly with the individual or their supervisor as difficulties often arise from poor communication or misunderstandings. If the issue cannot be resolved to your satisfaction or if you do not feel safe addressing the problem on your own you can contact the College Dietitians of PEI. If you have any doubts about what action to take, then you may wish to speak with the Registrar for more information: Carolyn Knox email:

How to make a complaint:  
Your complaint must be sent to the College in writing (email or letter). In your complaint, you must include the following:

  • Full name of the Registered Dietitian, Nutritionist, or Dietetic Intern.
  • A description of what happened;
  • Where the incident took place including location, date, and time;
  • Who was involved; and
  • Your name, your contact information and signature
  • If the complaint is made by several people, each person is to sign the complaint and give their contact information.

Submit the complaint to the Registrar in writing by email to or by letter mailed to College of Dietitians of PEI, PO Box 362, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 7K7.

While CDPEI maintains confidentiality with regards to complaints, information gathered during the investigation will be provided to the Registered Dietitian or their representative for the purpose of responding to the complaint.

For concerns about a dietitian's services, information about the complaints process, or for help in making a complaint, please contact the Registrar of the College Dietitians of PEI, Carolyn Knox by email to or by letter mailed to College of Dietitians of PEI, PO Box 362, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 7K7.